If you want to support our work, you can volunteer with us!
More info bellow.
For any inquiries or applications (including a CV), please message us at info[at]apanomeria.org
What you can do with us
Volunteers will be given the chance to:
- Use the Precious Plastic Lab to learn about recycling plastic hands-on and create objects from it,
- Participate in the mapping of trails of the island of Syros,
- Support of communication team in creating outreach campaigns,
- Support of educators team in the workshops and seminars regarding environmental issues, sustainable practices and the precious plastic initiative,
- Field research for the recording and evaluation of the biodiversity of the island’s ecosystems, and the factors that affect them, with emphasis on the protected area of Apano Meria,
- Experimental design and drafting of proposals on the management of ecosystems,
- Inform and raise awareness in local communities and the general public about the value of environmental protection and sustainable development,
- Collect information based on traditional knowledge about the endemic flora and fauna of the island as well as their traditional management practices,
- Create maps (GIS) of the protected area with data on the flora, fauna, paths and existing uses and activities.
- Clean-ups of marine and terrestrial environment
Who can volunteer
We strongly support young people that are making their first steps in their field but we accept people of any age and background to volunteer with us. People with an educational/professional background on ecology, biology, geology, engineering, communication, environmental education or environmental governance will be preferred.
How long should you stay
Volunteers are expected to stay for at least two weeks (no maximum time-limit). We recommend that the volunteers choose to come outside the peak tourist season (July-August), for their own comfort and ease of access to affordable accommodation, but we would accept applicants at any time of the year. Also we would like to urge them not to rule out the winter months as the climate is mild and the environment of the Cyclades is beautiful and thriving at that time. We are at their disposal to discuss and arrange the best time for them.
How big of a team
We are a large, diverse team that is used to working together and delegating responsibilities, and as such we are open to up to 10 volunteers to work with us at the same time.
What we offer
We provide assistance in finding suitable housing for our volunteers. We provide free access to the Precious Plastic Lab and to all the workshops and seminars organised by the SCE. Every volunteer will be given a free t-shirt with the logo of the SCE to promote team spirit.